Adding Line Numbers in Open Office Writer
(This blog was written for versions of OpenOffice up to Version 3.4.0)
OpenOffice.org can insert line numbers in an entire document or to selected paragraphs in your document.
Line numbers are included when you print your document. You can specify the line numbering interval, the starting line number, and whether to count blank lines or lines in frames. You can also add a separator between line numbers.
To Add Line Numbers to an Entire Document
1. Choose Tools - Line Numbering.
2. Select Show numbering, and then select the options that you want from the Line Numbering Window that comes up.
3. Click OK.
To Specify the Starting Line Number
1. Click in a paragraph.
2. Choose Format - Paragraph, and then click the Numbering tab.
3. Select the Include this paragraph in line numbering check box.
4. Select Restart at the paragraph check box.
5. Enter a line number in the Start with box.
6. Click OK.
For further information on adding Line Numbering to specific paragraphs go to Open Office Help and type in Line Numbers and click on Display at the bottom left hand of the page.
Perhaps you are wondering why you want to do this – It is often done in legal documents and if you were comparing documents or sending a document to someone for them to check it would simplify making comments by referring to words etc in a particular line.