If you have children it is important to read, Wireless Risk Management
Wireless technologies are everywhere, providing convenience, and portability. Being able to communicate from anywhere, plus being able to get on the Internet and find information in an instant, are some of the benefits of using wireless technologies.
There are down sides to this. Their portability leaves them venerable to theft and forget fullness. Being connected to other systems and networks, leaves them constantly venerable to hacking attacks, virus infections and malware installations.
Here are some practical things you can do to improve security for mobile devices.
1. Have a decent password for access, at least 8 to 12 characters long, made up of upper, and lower case letters, plus symbols. Don’t use simple dictionary words with a birth date and a few numbers. These are very easy to break.
2. Install mobile security software, virus scanners, malware and sypware removers, plus encryption tools. Use encryption to prevent easy access to private files, photos and data, from hackers.
3. Set up a device recovery system that allows you to track where the device is located. Great if you have just misplaced it somewhere. If you forget where you left it, this type of tool will allow you to track it from your home computer, laptop or mobile phone. There are remote recovery tools available, suitable for your Apple, Windows and Android based tablets and phones.
4. Make sure you also set up remote wipe/erase option if you set up one of these remote tracking systems. The device may not be recoverable, or has sensitive data on it that you want keep away from prying eyes. Being able to erase all your sensitive personal information quickly, could be more important than the device. Remote wipe software erases the entire system, and restores it to the factory settings. It has to be set up on the device you want to recover or erase, plus another phone, tablet, or computer you own.
Unfortunately no device is perfectly secure no matter which make and model you purchase. If you make the effort to follow the above suggestions, it will make it much more secure, and provide you with some peace of mind.
All mobile wireless devices are a source of microwave radiation, and microwave radiation was classed as a 2B carcinogen by the WHO in 2011, so limiting your exposure is important. Large numbers of independent peer review studies are showing this could be potentially a major health issue. All ionizing or non ionizing radiation is cumulative. Pregnant women, children, and and particularly girls, are much more sensitive to radiation that adults.
There is no safe level of microwave radiation exposure for children.
Why WiFi is bad for children.
This short video clearly explains the risks of WiFi to children, take the time to watch it.
Professor Magda Havas of Trent University.
In this video there are demonstrations of how wireless household appliances such as portable phones, WiFi base stations and DECT baby monitors, broadcast constant microwave radiation, that is similar in intensity to being a few hundred meters away from a large cell phone tower. In this video you will be introduced to several cell antenna studies that show the microwave radiation that is emitted by these towers are harmful to human health.
Cancer Officially Number One Cause of Childhood Death in U.S.
Practical things you can do to reduce your family’s exposure to Microwave radiation.
The more wireless devices you have turned on in the house at one time, increases all the family member’s exposure, including the neighbours. Think about it. In a home of a family of four, each person could have a mobile phone, a tablet computer, their own laptop, a cordless phone system, Xbox game console, wireless access point, or mobile broadband device.
All of these devices radiate significant amounts of microwave radiation individually. Combined, this adds up to a very significant exposure. Train the family to turn them off, or use alternative technologies! Gee, I don’t even own a mobile phone, and I’ve survived! Some people are far more sensitive than others to this type of radiation, and can suffer significant symptoms, in a very short period of time.
Ideally stop using wireless devices altogether, or at least use methods to reduce you and your families exposure. Doing this not only limits your exposure, but everyone else’s too. When it comes to microwave radiation, distance is your friend. Each doubling of the distance from a microwave transmitting device, quarters the radiation exposure.
1. Don’t leave these devices on 24 hours a day. (This also lessens the time available for someone to hack into the device.) Some devices like wireless printers, wireless access points and tablets, can send out very strong microwave signals constantly, when left on. Lower the wireless signal transmission strength to the lowest possible level you can, to get everything working. A lot of wireless modems,and access points will allow you to turn down the wireless transmission signal strength in there software settings. Turn them off when not in use, and lower the transmission signal strength.
2. Place wireless access points, and mobile broadband device as far away from you as practical. I have suggested to lots of people with mobile broadband devices, that they put it on a 5 meter USB extension cable. This is so they can get the device away from them, plus use it like an aerial, to find the best signal strength location in a room. Don’t place these devices on your lap or on your person. Young guys will be frying the family jewels, for older guys it may not matter.
3. Only have the device’s wireless function turned on when necessary. Remember, there can be more than one wireless type built into a device, wifi as well a blue tooth etc. Turn them off if you are not using them. This will also improve security.
4. Do not sleep with these devices in you bedroom, or under your pillow. What is society coming to, for me to even have to mention this. :) Not only is this a fire hazard, but also a health hazard.
5. Replacing a cordless phone system with an old style corded phone can greatly reduce the amount of microwave radiation emanating through the house, and your head, when using it.
Watch these two very informative videos on the biological effects of microwave radiation, based on lots of independent research from all over the world.
Video part 1
Some practical devices you can purchase that will reduce your microwave radiation exposure.
Mobile Phones and the Blood Brain Barrier
Freedom and Privacy being eroded by Technology!
What Wireless Security
© Peter Daley 2013
Disclaimer: This is an amateur volunteer run service. Human error can provide incorrect information, and equipment malfunction can produce false readings. Do not rely on, or take action upon information presented on this web site or at SCCC activities, without further research. Views expressed in the pages, images, or tutorials on the SCCC Inc., web site or presented at venues, maybe the personal opinions of the relevant writers or presenters, and are not necessarily representative of those of SCCC Inc.