- Every Saturday 9 am to 12:10 pm at Caloundra (view map)
- Every Thursday 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm at Buderim (view map)
- See the latest Linux Mandriva 2010.2 and Ubuntu 11.04 operating systems
- One on one help for Mandriva and Ubuntu problems
- The group will help you install Mandriva and or Ubuntu on your Computer
- Tutorials available for your Flash Drive
- See the latest Notebooks that are fully Linux compatible
- Other Linux distributions available for older Computers
- Linux operating system and included software totally free
- Click to Access Linux Tutorials
Benefits of using Linux as your computer Operating System
- Linux is a powerful operating system (OS). It exists because many thousands of interested volunteers around the world donate their time to write the OS and the software included in the distribution.
- We use Mandriva Linux at the Caloundra Technology Education Centre as it is one of the easiest distributions to learn, both for beginners and experienced users wishing to migrate from Windows.
- More experienced computer users may like to try Ubuntu. It is the worlds most popular Linux distribution and can be mastered in a short time, the same as any Linux Operating System.
- We also use a mini distribution DSL (damn small linux) that is only 50 Mb in size and loads completely to memory and consequently is suitable for and very fast on older computers.
- Like to give Linux a try? If you have around 10 Gb of free hard disk space, we can help you install Linux and keep your existing Windows installation while you explore the advantages of Linux.
- Because of the security of Linux you don't have to worry about any virus affecting your system and you can browse the Web and open Email attachments knowing your system won't be compromised.
- No virus on Linux means you don't have to waste time running never ending virus scans. The superior file system used by Linux means no more Defrag. Files are written to the hard disk contiguously as the system is used.
- When Windows won't boot on your computer, you can use Linux to rescue your system and recover that important data from "My Documents" that you hadn't yet backed up to another media.
- Look in our club's Monthly Bits'N'Bytes Magazine for tips on using this OS. Remember that instead of paying many hundreds of dollars for an OS and software, on top of the cost of buying a computer, you can install Linux and its included software for free.
If you are not a current Sunshine Coast Computer Club member, why not join and become part of this special interest group. There is a small yearly membership available for individuals ($50) or families ($60) and an entrance fee of $4 to attend meetings which includes use of all equipment and tea and coffee.
Disclaimer: This is an amateur volunteer run service. Human error can provide incorrect information, and equipment malfunction can produce false readings. Do not rely on, or take action upon information presented on this web site or at SCCC activities, without further research. Views expressed in the pages, images, or tutorials on the SCCC Inc., web site or presented at venues, maybe the personal opinions of the relevant writers or presenters, and are not necessarily representative of those of SCCC Inc.